Introduction: What’s So Special About Estate Planning in California?
1. What’s in an Estate Plan and Why Do You Need One?
3. Living Trusts
4. Estate Planning and Your Minor Children: Choosing a Guardian
5. Leaving Money to Children
6. Estate Planning Across Borders
7. Yours, Mine, and Ours: Estate Planning for Blended Families
8. Estate Planning and Property Tax: What You Need to Know About Prop 13
9. Death and Taxes: Income, Gift, and Estate Taxes
10. Naming the Right Beneficiaries: Retirement and Life Insurance
11. Advance Health Care Directives & Powers of Attorney for Finances
12. Managing Your Plan and Keeping it Current
13. Finding a Lawyer and Help Beyond the Book
Personal Inventory - you can use this to gather all of your important financial information in one place.
Fiduciary Worksheet - to record your choices for trustee, executor, agents and guardians.
Current Beneficiaries List - to keep track of your beneficiaries for life insurance, retirement assets and other beneficiary designated accounts.
Guardianship Letter & List - outlining your priorities and concerns for any future guardians and a list of those you're considering choosing.
Wills and Trusts worksheet - an outline of the structure of your estate plan.
How does this course work?
Liza Hanks will be your mentor, teacher, and guide. Videos, readings, and exercises are pre-recorded - you can work through them on your own time, at your own pace. Liza will answer questions on the discussion board.
Does this course replace the need for an estate planning attorney?
No, but it will take you 90% of the way there. The course will empower you to work with an estate planning attorney more confidently.
Does the course happen on specific dates?
No. The course launches in September 2022 and our first cohort will work at the same pace, but you can sign up at any time. You can begin when you are ready and finish when you complete all of the assignments.
Will Liza do my estate planning for me?
No - the whole point of the class is to empower you to do this work for yourself and your clients. Liza isn't taking you on as a client - you are her student and collaborator.
Can I get a certificate of completion?
Yes, we'll offer a learning check at the end of the presentation so you can get a certificate of completion.