This 12-week comprehensive course will focus on the tools, techniques, and technology used in operating a natural cemetery. Students will learn about natural cemetery: organization options; property management; grave operations; site design; documentation platforms; records and data management programs; money management, including endowments; marketing; differences between laws, bylaws, regulations, policies; writing guidebooks and guidelines; communication necessities; and sales, products and services. We will also explore best practices as informed by science, the conservation community, and cemetery operator experience, plus religious and cultural needs and the ethics of environmental justice within the context of demand for more eco-friendly, affordable, and authentic disposition options. Successful completion will earn CEUs.
- One-hour per week for 12 weeks
- Optional office hours every Tuesday
- Online, real-time instructor
- Guest experts/video presentations
- Readings and video assignments
- Independent research
- Interactive discussion
- Access to instructor between sessions
- Access to broad range of resource lists and links
- Two assigned assessment projects
"Holly Blue and Lee are incredible, thoughtful mentors with the technical chops to deliver advanced training."
how and why of increasing demand
technical skill areas
health & safety facts
standard practices and procedures